CERT Training for Teachers
Course updated 04/18/14
This course prepares participants to deliver FEMA’s Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Basic Training course to high school age students. This training course focuses on preparing instructors to:
• Deliver CERT Basic Training to teens
• Convey the messages and intent of the CERT Program (e.g., safety, teamwork, place in home, school, and community emergency preparedness and response).
• Assure that participants achieve the objectives of CERT Basic Training.
• Create a comfortable yet managed learning environment.
• Course topics include (delivery modified for teaching teens):
• CERT history, program purpose, and values.
• Materials and requirements for the CERT Basic Training course.
• Roles of the CERT instructor.
• Effective presentation of CERT Basic Training content in addition to those listed above:
• Fire Safety/Basic Fire Suppression
• Emergency Medical Operations
• Light Search and Rescue
• CERT Organization
• CERTs and Terrorism
• May include hands-on activities dealing with fire extinguishers, cribbing, first aid, and basic search and rescue.
• How to set up and conduct a final exercise wherein students demonstrate proficiency in course topics.
• Participant teach backs.
• How to develop and implement a CERT program in a school setting
Individuals who will:
• Serve as teachers/instructors for the CERT Basic Training course delivered to teens
• Oversee CERT Basic Training course instructors in a high school or teen environment
Prerequisites & Other Information:
Completion of IS-317 is recommended prior to class if Basic CERT G-317 has not been completed: http://www.citizencorps.fema.gov/cert/IS317/ (Independent Study course)
• It is advisable to get approval from your school administrator prior to taking this course
Certificate of completion will be awarded
No tuition is charged. Transportation, room/board and meals are on your own
||TDEM - Emergency Management Training
No feedback has been left for this course.