Course Description - Last updated 9/12/13
This course provides general information on the purpose and use of the Thermo FH40 radiation detector and Probes contained in the Thermo Scientific Emergency Radiation Detection Kit (RDK). The SS/RDK CC course provides basic information and some of the basic skills necessary to use the RDK in a variety of settings. This course is a pre-requisite for our new instructor led PER-227 Secondary Screener/Radiation Detector Kit Operations and Strategies course but contains useful information regarding the Thermo FH-40 controls and probes for agencies that use this detector.
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- IDENTIFY the components of the radiation detection kit
- DESCRIBE the controls used on the FH40G-L survey rate meter.
- RECOGNIZE the menus and displays used by the FH40G-L survey rate meter
- PERFORM the 8 step pre-operations check required for the FH40G-L prior to use with the Radiation Detection Kit (RDK).
- IDENTIFY each of the audio and visual alarms which may occur during the detection of radiation by the FH40G-L with/without probes.
- IDENTIFY each probe contained within the RDK.
- DESCRIBE the unique characteristics of each probe contained within the RDK
Law Enforcement, Fire Service, Hazardous Materials (HazMat), and Response personnel assigned duties employing an RDK.
It is the responsibility of the jurisdiction to select course participants.
A certificate will be issued upon successful completion of the course, granting 0.15 continuing education units (CEUs) through the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). A letter verifying CEUs can be provided upon request by
contacting CTOS at: email@example.com.
This course complies with ANSI N42.37-2006, “American National Standard for Training Requirements for Homeland Security Purposes Using Radiation Detector Instrumentation for Interdiction and Prevention.”
Access the CTOS Web Campus at
http://beta.saic.com/ctos_alt/pages/courses_web_campus.htm. Once registered, select the